Zia Hatch Green Chile and English Muffin Breakfast Casserole
This creative and delicious use of classic breakfast ingredients makes for the perfect special occasion breakfast. You can even make ahead the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning!
- Butter for greasing (unsalted)
- 6 English Muffins (plain)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb sweet breakfast sausage
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile (strained)
- 2 1/2 cups milk (we used whole)
- 2 cups (8oz) shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with 2tbsp of butter. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Strain Zia Hatch Green Chile. Slice scallions.
3. Cut your english muffins into bite size cube pieces. Place pieces onto a baking sheet and bake until toasted and a bit dried out to help absorb egg mixture, about 20 minutes.
4. While english muffin cubes are toasting, add olive oil, sausage and scallions to large skillet and cook on medium-high heat. Work the sausage with a wooden spoon to break it up into smaller pieces, drain fat and transfer to a plate.
5. While sausage is cooling, in a mixing bowl whisk in eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and Zia Hatch Green Chile.
6. Return to sausage and cut up any large pieces to ensure that the meat is a consistent size.
7. Assembly begins: Sprinkle half of the sausage into the baking dish. Add half the cheese and the english muffin cubes and form into flat layer. Pour egg mixture on top of everything. Move around the english muffin cubes to ensure that they’re all in contact with the eggs.
8. Top with remaining sausage and cheese, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. You can refrigerate overnight as well.
9. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake casserole about 30-40 mins, until puffed and cooked through. Let it cool for 10 minutes and then serve.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!