Zia Hatch Green Chile and Spring Onion Cheese Ball
No need to wait for the Holidays to craft this easy party pleasing appetizer.
Spring Onions, Bacon, and our Hatch Green Chile are the perfect sure to please combination. Bonus points if you coat in Piñon and New Mexico Pecans!
- 16oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar
- 2 Spring Onions or Green Onions, chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
- 3 Bacon Strips, fried, patted dry and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup Pecans
- 2/3 cup Piñon or Pine Nuts
- 1 tbsp Ranch Dressing
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
1. Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and let sit for about 30 min until softened. Add cheese, spring / green onion, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, garlic powder, oregano, pepper, 2/3 of bacon bits, sour cream, ranch dressing and strained Zia Hatch Green Chile. Mix together until smooth.
2. Use a rubber spatula to gather mixture into one lump. Make sure hands are sanitary and / or gloved, break apart and mold into desired shapes (a few small cheese balls, one large one, cheese logs, etc). Once formed, set aside.
3. Place pecans or piñon / pine nuts (or a combination) into a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin until a fine texture and size is achieved. Dump mixture onto a large plate and mix in remaining bacon bits. This will be your outside layer.
4. Place your cheese ball(s) onto the plate and roll it around, making sure that all sides become evenly coated with the nut / bacon mixture. Gently press into each side to ensure that everything is sticking together and coated properly.
5. Once all cheese balls have been covered, wrap each in its own saran wrap and place in fridge.
6. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour to allow the cheese balls to firm up. We recommend letting sit in the fridge overnight for a firmer texture and to allow flavors to blend. When ready to serve, let sit at room temperature for 10-20 to slightly soften. Serve with your favorite crackers / pretzels / etc and enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!