Zia Hatch Green Chile Bagels
Ingredients (makes around 8-9 bagels):
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour (you will need more for kneading)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile (strained)
- Olive Oil
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- Your choice of bagel toppings (we used Trader Joes Everything Seasoning)
1. Pour sugar and yeast in 3/4 cup of the warm water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and don't stir during this time. After time has passed, stir mixture until it all dissolves in the water.
2. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a crevasse in the middle and pour in yeast / sugar mixture along with the other 1/2 cup of warm water and Zia Hatch Green Chile.
3. Stir together until a dough starts to form. Once dough forms, knead it together on a floured surface until it is smooth, firm, stiff and elastic. You will need to use more flour for this part to combat the stickiness and achieve the desired firmness.
4. Line a large bowl with a coating of olive oil and run the dough against it to coat it in oil. Cover the bowl with a moist towel and let the dough sit for an hour to properly rise. After the hour, punch the dough down and let sit a final 10 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into round balls. Using your palm and applying pressure in a circular motion, press the dough ball against a flat surface into about 1/3 the diameter of a bagel. Coat a finger in flour and press a hole into the middle of the pressed dough to form a ring. Once all of the dough is shaped, let rest for 5-10 minutes.
6. While dough is resting, pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees, bring a pot of water to a boil, whisk the large egg and lay out the bagel toppings.
7. Using a slotted spoon, boil each bagel 1 minute on each side. Upon removing from the water, brush the bagel with the whisked egg wash and pour on your toppings. Transfer bagel to an oiled or parchment lined baking sheet and repeat until all bagels are boiled / topped.
8. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes
9. Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy! Eat at least one while it's warm, you won't regret it.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!