Hatch Green Chile Baked Potato Soup
Zia Hatch Green Chile Baked Potato Soup
Just in time for colder weather, this recipe has all the flavor and heartiness of a baked potato in soup form!
It's easy to make and can easily be made vegetarian by removing the bacon and substituting the bacon fat with 3tbsp of butter.
- 1 package Bacon (8-9 strips)
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- 5 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 6 medium size Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced (keep the skins)
- 1 bunch Scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 6 cups Milk (we prefer whole for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream, plus more for serving
- 1 cup grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese, plus more for serving
- Extra Virgin Olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper to season and taste
1. Mince garlic and slice scallions, separating the white and green parts. Peel potatoes and set peels aside.
2. In a dutch oven or large pot, cook bacon strips until crisp over medium heat. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Remove bacon fat from the pot until you are only left with around 3 tbsp of it.
3. Reduce heat to medium low and sauté garlic and the white parts of the scallions for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown, making sure not to burn. Add potatoes, milk, strained Zia Hatch Green Chile, and 3 tsp of salt. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.
4. Once boiling, reduce back to medium low heat where the soup stays at a low simmer. Let simmer for 12-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender, still stirring often.
5. While soup is simmering, heat up olive oil in a separate skillet over medium high heat and cook potato peels until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, mixing and allowing to cook evenly on both sides of the peels. Work in batches if needed, and transfer to another paper towel lined plate, covering with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices.
6. Check on soup. Once potatoes are tender, reduce heat to low and mash with a potato masher. Add in sour cream, cheese, and combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
7. Serve in a bowl, using the cooked potato peels, crispy bacon strips, a dollop of sour cream, Zia Hatch Green Chile, more cheese, green scallions, and salt / pepper to top.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published