Zia Hatch Green Chile Beer Can Chicken
Smoke roasting chicken atop a beer can filled with Hatch Chile is a sure fire way to create incredibly juicy and flavorful barbecue.
This dish is perfect for Summer Grilling and will make you look like quite the grill master.
- 1 whole Chicken, 4-5 lb
- 4 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Red Chile Powder
- 2 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp ground Coriander
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated White Sugar
- 1 tbsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 can Beer of your choice
- 1/2 - full jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
1. Turn grill burners to high heat, and when ready turn off one burner on the side where you will place the chicken. If using an oven, pre-heat to 425 degrees.
2. Remove neck and giblets from chicken. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels as best as possible.
3. Combine all dry spices in a large bowl and rub the entire chicken with it, inside and out.
4. Pour about 1/3 of the beer into the roasting pan you're using. Fill the remainder of the beer can with at least 1/2 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, no need to strain.
5. Place the beer can on a solid surface or roasting pan (we used a cast iron). Pick up the chicken and carefully place the chicken on top of the beer can so it fills the cavity. Place the chicken on the cool side of your grill or into your oven.
6. Cover the grill or close the oven and cook for approximately 1 1/4 hours, until the chicken breast meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. If you're using an oven, check on the chicken about 45 minutes in. It is likely that the top third of the chicken will be golden brown while the bottom will not be crispy yet. To prevent the top part from burning, loosely tent the top and the wings with some tin foil.
8. During the last few minutes, puree at least 1/4 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile and rub over chicken for more flavor.
9. Once the chicken is complete, remove from heat source and remove the can from the chicken. Let it rest for 5 minutes and carve into quarters.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!