Zia Hatch Green Chile Birria Tacos
- 1 1/2 lb Beef Shank
- 1 lb Sirloin
- Olive Oil
- 3 Dried Guajillo Peppers
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 3/4 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
- 1 Large White Onion, diced
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 6 Whole Cloves or 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 quart Chicken Stock, sodium free
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 12-14 4" Corn or Flour Tortillas
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend, grated
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and then turn off heat. Soak your dried Guajillo peppers for 15 minutes. While this is happening, cube your sirloin and beef shank and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add marinade ingredient to the blender. When the peppers have soaked for 15 minutes, hold them up by the tip over the water and pull out the stem, allowing the seeds to fall out. Add to blender and blend the marinade into a smooth paste. Pour the marinade into a bag along with the beef and allow to marinade for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
3. When ready to cook, set an oven proof pot on medium heat (we used a Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven). Add a bit of olive oil and saute your onions for 6-8 minutes.
4. Add the meat plus its marinade along with the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and cloves to the pot. Pour in chicken stock and give everything a good stir. Set the heat to low and let cook for 4-6 hours.
5. After the beef has cooked and slowly simmered, remove from heat. Shred the beef, discard the bones, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Set the meat to the side so you're left with a pot of stew.
6. Grab a skillet and turn the heat to medium. Grab a single tortilla and dunk into the stew to coat evenly. After each dunk, place the tortilla onto the pan, quickly adding your shredded beef, cheese, and any additional toppings such as onion, cilantro, Zia Hatch Green Chile or Zia Hatch Chile Salsa, etc.
7. Fold each tortilla over to shape it, flipping sides so that the tortilla can crisp evenly. Remove and put onto a serving plate, repeating this process with each tortilla, building as you go until you have as many Hatch Green Chile Birria Tacos as desired.
8. Add warm stew into a small bowl to serve with the Birria Tacos and enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!