Hatch Green Chile Challah Bread
Zia Hatch Green Chile Challah Bread
Our Hatch Chile is an incredible baking ingredient and it really shines through in this recipe for melt in your mouth Challah Bread.
Ingredients (makes 2 Challahs):
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar (to proof yeast)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil, plus more for greasing
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 8 cups All Purpose Flour, plus more as needed
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- Toppings to sprinkle (Poppy Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Etc.)
1. Proof yeast by mixing yeast and 1 tbsp sugar with 1 3/4 cup warm water in a large bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Strain Zia Hatch Green Chile.
2. Once yeast has bubbled, whisk in oil, remaining sugar and salt, strained Zia Hatch Green Chile and then beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour and mix together until dough holds together.
3. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth. Use more flour as needed if dough is sticky. Once kneaded, clean out bowl, grease with a dab of vegetable oil, and return dough to bowl. Cover with a warm towel or plastic wrap and let sit for around 45 mins to rise. After 45 mins, punch down dough and let rise for another 30 minutes.
4. (For steps 4 and 5, we recommend using this guide for a visual if this is your first time braiding Challah). After risen and almost doubled in size, divide dough into 12 balls. Roll each ball out with a rolling pin (don't worry about shape), and then with your hands, roll the dough back from one edge until you have a braid that's around 10-12 inches long and 1-2 inches wide. Continue this process until each dough ball is rolled into a braid.
5. Braid each Challah. Take 6 braids and set side by side. Pinch the ends together and then fold each braid over from the left, over 2, under 1, over 2. Continue this process until the Challah is fully braided and pinch down the ends to complete the shape. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise while the oven is pre-heating in the next step.
6. Brush each Challah with egg wash and sprinkle on any toppings desire. If baking right away, pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for around 40 minutes, until golden. If not baking right away, cover, freeze and let thaw for at least 5 hours prior to baking.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published