Hatch Green Chile Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
Zia Hatch Green Chile Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
Not surprisingly, the Chicago Deep Dish full of ample amount of cheese and tomato sauce is also the perfect vessel for Hatch Green Chile.
These pizzas are a great way to put your cast iron to work and make a lot of people happy (and very full) in the process.
Ingredients (Yield 2 Pizzas with 9-11 inch diameter):
- 4 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Yeast (1 standard packet)
- 1 1/4 cups Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 small onion, grated, processed or finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained. Set aside the other 1/4 jar for topping
- 16oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Any other toppings you would like
For the Dough
1. Combine 1 3/4 cups warm water and yeast in a mixing bowl. Let yeast dissolve for about 2 minutes.
2. Add flour, salt, sugar, olive oil and mix until well incorporated and dough form, about 5 minutes. If dough is too sticky, add more flour as needed.
3. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and knead dough for around 5 minutes. Form into a firm ball and place back inside the mixing bowl.
4. Lightly drizzle olive oil over the dough and sides of the bowl and make sure all sides of the dough are evenly coated. Cover the bowl with a wet kitchen towel and let side for around an hour to rise.
For the Sauce
1. Place butter in a medium saucepan on low heat until melted.
2. Add onion, salt, and oregano. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, tomatoes, sugar, and 3/4 jar of Zia Hatch Green Chile.
4. Increase heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally and cook until fragrant and thick, about 45 minutes. You should have 2-3 cups worth of sauce in your pan by now. If you have more, continue simmering. Set aside and turn off heat.
1. Roll out dough onto a lightly flour surface until thin.
2. Place dough over greased cast iron or cake pan. Using your fingers, press the dough into the pan, making sure there are no air bubbles. Trim off any excess dough to ensure an even crust.
3. Fill with 1/2 the cheese. 8oz of cheese is desired if your pizza has a 9-11 inch diameter. If your pan is wider, adjust accordingly.
4. Add tomato sauce as the top layer and sprinkle 1/4 cup on parmesan on top.
Baking and Serving
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. At minute 20, the crust should begin to show some light golden brown color. Once color is visible, loosely tent the top of the pizza with some aluminum foil to continue cooking the pizza while avoiding overcooking the surface and burning the crust.
3. Remove from the oven and immediately add remaining 1/4 jar of Zia Hatch Green Chile. We suggest adding this at the end to ensure the chile has plenty of moisture and does not become dehydrated in the oven while sitting on the surface.
4. Allow pizza to sit in pan for an additional 10 minutes to cool. If your pan was greased properly, the pizza should separate from the pan with relative ease. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat by placing in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published