Zia Hatch Green Chile "Cracker Jack" Mix
Who knew Hatch Green Chile would go well with caramel and popcorn? (We absolutely did).
Our Hatch Green Chile "Cracker Jack" Mix is the perfect recipe to snack on while watching baseball, to accompany a snack table while hosting or even bag up for homemade gifts during holidays!
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 bag Popcorn
- 1.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 cups Sugar
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- 1 1/2 cup Peanuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degree Fahrenheit.
2. Light coat 2 rubber spatulas and a large mixing bowl in oil. Set both aside.
3.. Strain 1/2 jar of Zia Hatch Green Chile and spread out onto a tray lined with greased parchment paper. Place in the oven for about 15 mins or until Zia Hatch Green Chile is relatively dry and not soaking wet. The idea here is to slightly "dehydrate" the chile and remove moisture.
4. On low heat, in a large saucepan or pot, heat butter and 1/2 cup of water until melted. Pour melted butter mixture into a blender along with slightly dehydrated Zia Hatch Green Chile and blend until all ingredients are fully incorporated into a Hatch Chile Butter Melt. Set tray with parchment paper aside.
5. In a small cup, mix together baking soda and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
6. Pour Hatch Chile Butter Melt back into the saucepan, add sugar and salt and give it a quick stir to spread out the sugar. Turn heat on high and allow mixture to bubble untouched and unstirred for about 9 minutes.
7. At minute 9, place a bag of popcorn in the microwave for the instructed amount of time (most require 3 minutes). The popcorn should be ready just as the sugar mixture has been cooking for about 13 minutes.
8. (Now is time to move quickly to allow for proper settling). Pour popcorn into oiled mixing bowl. Remove pan from heat source onto an unheated burner and carefully whisk in baking soda mixture. The mixture will begin to bubble -- keep whisking until a golden caramel color can be seen. Whisking all the while, pour over bowl of popcorn.
9. Throw in peanuts and begin tossing with oiled rubber spatulas to evenly coat the mixture. Spread mixture evenly over parchment lined tray and allow to cool / harden. Once cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks and enjoy!
Pro tip: For cleaning, soak everything in very hot running tap water with dish soap. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and all the hardened caramel should be loose and can be scraped off and cleaned easily!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!