Zia Hatch Green Chile French Onion Soup
An even more flavorful version of the classic soup. A staple for Winter, but also can't be turned down in any season.
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 4 Yellow Onions, peeled and sliced
- 8 cups Beef Stock (or Vegetable Stock if you would like this recipe to be vegetarian)
- 1 cup White Cooking Wine
- 1 tbsp Dry Sherry Wine
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf French Bread (or bread of choice), sliced
1. Peel and thinly slice onions and caramelize them. To caramelize, melt butter over medium heat in a large pan or dutch oven and add onions / salt (at least 1/2 tsp). Stir occasionally and watch heat to make sure onions do not brown too quickly. This process usually takes at least 45 minutes and up to 60.
2. While onions are caramelizing, grate cheese and slice bread.
3. With about 10 minutes left for completion of the onions, add stock to a separate pot along with Zia Hatch Green Chile over low heat.
4. Once onions are caramelized, add white wine and sherry to them and allow them to come to a boil. Once boiling, add flour, stir and let cook for another couple minutes to thicken.
5. At this point, slowly add the mixture of stock / Zia Hatch Green Chile to the onion mixture, along with more salt and pepper (at least 1/4 tsp of each), and let boil for 10 minutes, uncovered. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
6. When ready to serve, heat up your oven broiler and ladle the soup into individual oven proof dishes. Top each dish with slices of bread and sprinkle with large amounts of gruyere cheese. Broil for a couple minutes until the cheese browns, watching carefully that it does not cook too long.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!