Zia Hatch Green Chile Green Bean Mushroom Casserole
Ingredients for Casserole:
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 lbs Green Beans, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes or New Mexico Chile Powder
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 12oz mixed mushrooms (we used cremini and shiitake), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp Red-Wine or Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire or Soy Sauce (optional)
Ingredients for Crisp Onions:
- 2 medium Yellow or White Onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Hight Heat Frying Oil such as Canola or Vegetable
1. In a medium bowl, mix thinly sliced onions with flour, bread crumbs and salt
2. In a high wall pan, pour enough oil to fully cover the bottom of the pan and heat pan on medium-high.
3. Add onions in batches and fry until golden brown and color develops. Don't worry about fully cooking the onions - they will finish when in the over.
4. Transfer onions onto a paper towel to soak until all onions are fried.
5. Place a knob of butter on a 4 qt shallow baking dish and let come to room temperature. Set aside.
6. Blanch the green beans - Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt generously. Place green beans in the boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender and bright green. Immediately transfer the beans to an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
7. Pour water from the pot and return to stovetop over medium high heat. Melt 3 tbsp butter and stir in red pepper flakes or New Mexico Chile Powder and thyme. Let cook for around 1 min, then add sliced mushrooms and cook 8-10min until mushrooms develop color. Add garlic and pinch of salt and stir for about another 2 min until fragrant.
8. Sprinkle 3 tbsp flour over the mushrooms and toss to coat. Gradually add in the stock and milk and bring to a simmer, stirring throughout. Add in jar of Zia Hatch Green Chile and continue cooking until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and add nutmeg, black pepper, vinegar and Worcestershire or soy sauce. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
9. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and place baking dish in the oven to allow butter to fully melt.
10. Add green beans into the pot along with the mushrooms as well as 1/2 the onions that were set aside and stir. Once oven reaches 400 degrees, remove baking dish and add contents of the pot. Top with remaining onions.
11. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
12. Remove, let cool to room temperature and enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!