Hatch Green Chile Hearty Beef Stew
Zia Hatch Green Chile Hearty Beef Stew
A simple meal that is full of flavor and sustenance.
This pairs incredibly well with a stout or glass of red wine, and is a great meal to get you through the Winter, celebrate St Patricks Day, or make in bulk to have portions throughout the week.
(This makes enough for about 4 servings. Double these ingredients if you are serving more)
- 2 lbs Boneless Chuck Steak or Cubed Beef for Stew
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup White Onion, chopped
- 3/4-Full Jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- 2 1/2 cups Dry Red Wine (such as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Chianti or Garnacha). If you don't have any of these, generic Red Cooking Wine will work
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 3 whole Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 3 sprigs worth of parsley for cooking, more for garnish
- 3-4 large Carrots, cut into one inch lengths
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
1. Cut meat into 1 inch cubes if needed.
2. In a large pot or Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium heat, add beef cubes, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until the rawness can't be seen. Stir often.
3. Add garlic and onions, and flour. Stir until combined and cook for another 10 minutes, continuing to stir often.
4. Add red wine, bring to a boil and let simmer and reduce for 5-10 minutes. Add water, cloves, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and Zia Hatch Green Chile. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for an hour. Stir occasionally to avoid ingredients sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. After one hour, add carrots and continue cooking for 30 more minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with buttered rolls and red wine or a Stout (we recommend Left Hand Milk Stout).
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published