Zia Hatch Green Chile Macaroni and Pimento Cheese
Hatch Green Chile is always the secret ingredient to both Mac & Cheese and Pimento Cheese. Why not combine the two?
This comfort food will leave you satisfied at any time and is the perfect side dish for any party or holiday gathering.
- 1 lb Pasta Shells (or Macaroni Elbows if you prefer)
- 3/4 - full jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- 4 oz jar Diced Pimentos, strained
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (we use panko style)
- 1 1/4 sticks Butter (about 10-12 tbsp)
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 12 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded or grated
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tsp New Mexico Chile Powder or Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Boil a large pot of salted water and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Use small amount of butter to grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
2. Cook pasta to al dente (package instructions should have proper time for the pasta you're using). Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
3. In a skillet, melt 2-3 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook 3 to 5 minutes until golden and toasted. Stir often to avoid burning and immediately remove from heat once done.
4. Melt remaining butter in a large pout over dutch over over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper to season and cook a few minutes until softened and fragrant, stirring occasionally. After a few minutes, add flour and chile powder or paprika and cook / stir another minute until mixed.
5. Carefully pour in the milk while stirring and reduce to a simmer. Mix until milk is smooth / incorporated and let simmer until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the remaining ingredients: Cheese, cream cheese, pimentos, and strained Zia Hatch Green Chile. Stir until cheese is completely smooth / melted, taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
6. Once satisfied with pimento cheese mixture, add pasta and mix until all pasta is fully coated. Transfer pasta evenly to greased baking dish and evenly sprinkle your toasted breadcrumbs on top.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden and starting to bubble. Let cool and serve!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!