Zia Hatch Green Chile Sparky's "Oinker" Tribute
Our dear friends at Sparky's may never give us their secret recipe for their World Famous Hatch Green Chile "Oinker" Cheeseburger, but that won't stop us from making them at home whenever we crave one.
These burgers are an explosion of flavor and sure to please the grillmasters in your life. Try them out for your next Summer gathering!
- 4lb Boneless Pork Shoulder or Shoulder Butt
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 can Dr Pepper
- 3/4 cup Barbecue Sauce, grillers choice
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
- Ground Beef (as much as you need depending on how many burgers you're making. Each patty will be 7oz)
- Hamburger Buns
- Slices of American Cheese
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile (depending upon the number of burgers)
- Seasoned Salt of choice
1. Begin with pulled pork. Combine all seasonings together into one bowl to create your rub.
2. Trim excess fat from pork and cut into 2-3 pieces (if necessary) for it to fit in your dutch oven or ovenproof pot.
3. Rub your entire bowl of seasoning over pork. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. In a large dutch oven or oven proof pot, add oil / fat and turn heat to medium. Sear pork for a minute or two on each side.
5. Pour can of Dr Pepper over the pork, cover the pot with a lid and place in oven for 3 hours.
6. After 3 hours, pull out the pork and poke with a fork. The pork should be very tender and able to pull apart easily. Pour in BBQ Sauce and Zia Hatch Green Chile and place back into the oven for another hour or two.
7. Remove pork from the oven and turn off. Using two forks, begin to shred. Feel free to add more Zia Hatch Green Chile or BBQ Sauce as desired. Place back on stovetop over very low heat to keep warm.
8. Toast your burger buns and set aside.
9. Form ground beef into 7oz patties and season each well with seasoned salt.
10. Heat your grill or cast iron to medium-high heat and cook burgers for 4 minutes on one side, then flip.
11. Once flipped, add desired amount of Zia Hatch Green Chile onto each patty, topped with a slice of cheddar cheese and cook for another 3 minutes (or until desired rareness level).
12. Add each Hatch Chile Cheeseburger onto bun bottoms followed by a generous scoop of pulled pork. Add the bun top, serve and enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!