Zia Hatch Green Chile Seafood Gumbo
Whether you're celebrating Mardi Gras or searching for the perfect sweater season comfort recipe, Hatch Green Chile Gumbo is the solution you've been looking for.
Our Hatch Green Chile adds the perfect complement of heat to the mixture of hearty ingredients. One bowl alone will make you feel like you're coated in a warm blanket of complete satisfaction.
Though the amount of ingredients below can seem overwhelming, the beauty of gumbo is that you can tweak to your liking. Go all shrimp or all fish, add in some sausage, etc. You can't really go wrong!
- 2 Quarts Water
- 3/4 lb Cod (or any variety of white fish), cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb Peeled Shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 2 Onions, Peeled and Diced
- 1/2 Cup Long Grain Rice
- 7 Scallions, chopped, white and green parts
- 7 Scallops
- 5 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup Sliced Celery
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb Okra, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Filé Powder
1. Prep all ingredients - Chop onion, celery, green bell pepper and okra.
2. In a stock pot, boil 2 quarts of water. Add in seafood (cod / white fish, scallops, shrimp, etc.) and cook for about 4 minutes. Move seafood into separate bowl, keep the water in the pot and turn off the heat.
3. Make the roux: In a shallow saucepan mix the flour and oil together on high heat for about 1 minute until it begins to sizzle. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 25 minutes. Stir every minute or so until roux reaches a mahogany color.
4. Add onions to roux mixture and cook on medium heat for a couple more minutes until onions soften.
5. Place onion and roux into the original pot and turn heat to high. Add rice and stir well.
6. Add all remaining ingredients and spices to the pot except for the filé powder and seafood. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. While stirring, add filé powder and seafood, cooking another 5 minutes on low.
7. Once seafood is warmed up, serve into a bowl and enjoy.