Hatch Green Chile Shepherds Pie
Zia Hatch Green Chile Shepherds Pie
Hatch Green Chile, meat, and potatoes. Never a bad combination.
Making Shepherds Pie is a hearty and delicious way to celebrate St Patricks Day (or really any other day of the year). Serve with a freshly poured Guinness for maximum enjoyment!
- 4 Russet Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup White Cheddar, shredded
- 2 medium Carrots, peeled and diced into small rounds
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh Thyme, chopped
- 3/4lb Ground Beef
- 3/4lb Ground Lamb
- 1/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 3/4 cup Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add peeled and quartered potato to the water and boil for 15-20 minutes, until a knife or fork can pierce with no resistance.
2. In a microwave oven, heat 6 tbsp butter and the milk. Mix well. When potatoes are done, drain the water out and begin mashing. Mix in the butter / milk mixture and continue mashing until a smooth consistency is reached. Stir in cheddar and about 1/3 jar of strained Zia Hatch Green Chile.
3. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, garlic, thyme and rosemary, stirring often for about 10 minutes. Add the beef and lamb and begin breaking up with a spoon -- cook until all the meat has lost its pink color. Drain fat if needed and stir in remains of Zia Hatch Green Chile.
4. Add in tomato paste and stir for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Stir for 5 minutes on medium low heat and preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Transition contents in the skillet to an ovenproof baking dish of your choice. Add the meat mixture first and then top with the mashed potatoes, evening out so all areas are covered. Transfer to the oven and bake until potatoes begin to brown, about 30 minutes. Feel free to cook longer or utilize broiler until mashed potatoes have achieved the color you desire.
6. Lit settle at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published