Zia Hatch Green Chile Skillet Apple Pie
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 5 Apples Peeled, Cored, and Thinly Sliced (we used a mix of apples from upstate NY at a local farmers market, typically you would use granny smith)
- 2 9 inch Refrigerated, Pre-rolled pie crust
- 1 cup White Sugar, divided
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter, cut into small pieces, divided
- 1/2 - full jar of Zia Hatch Green Chile
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place 1/2 cup of butter into cast iron skillet and melt in oven. After 5min remove from oven and sprinkle with brown sugar, return to oven to heat while you prep apples.
3. Peel, core, and slice apples thinly. Place into a bowl.
4. Strain half a jar of Zia Hatch Green Chile (or more for added spice), add into bowl with apples.
5. Add in 1/2 cup sugar & 1 teaspoon cinnamon, mix well and coat evenly. Feel free to add any more spices you wish (nutmeg, pumpkin spice, smoked sea salt, or more Hatch Chile powder, etc.).
6. Remove both your pie crust from fridge, roll out to circles. One will remain a circle, while the other you will slice with a knife from top to bottom in 1 inch strips. They dont need to be perfect, the second one will be used as a top for the pie.
7. Check on butter in oven, it should be reduced to a thin layer and browned, not burnt. A solid layer of liquid is GOOD, if you have more than you think you should, pour a little into the bowl with apples.
8. At this point you will begin assembling. Remove the cast iron from the oven and place on countertop. Place the intact pie crust on top of the cinnamon butter to create a base. Pour in all the apple / Hatch Chile mixture from your bowl into the cast iron on top of the raw pie crust and spread evenly.
9. Place cut strips of pie crust across the top, creating a lattice shape (though you are welcome to get creative and make any shape you want!)
10. Once your pie is assembled, cut 1 tbsp of butter into small pieces and toss on top of the pie.
11. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon together. Evenly pour this mixture on top of your pie to create a sugar crusted top to the pie.
12. Place the pie back into the oven for about 45minutes until the crust is a golden brown. Let cool before cutting into, this will make the pie easier to cut and so it doesn't fall apart in your hands.
13. Serve warm and with your favorite ice cream for best enjoyment!