Zia Hatch Green Chile Springtime Shakshuka
Time to break out your cast iron! This "Springtime" twist on shakshuka is full of nutritional greens and flavor.
- 1/2 to 3/4 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- 6-8 Eggs (Use 6 if your cast iron skillet is 9-10 inches and 8 if 12 inches or above)
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Green Chard, chopped, stems separated from leaves
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- Olive oil
- Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Lime wedges for serving
- For garnish: Cotija cheese, 1 Avocado (sliced), 1 Jalapeño Pepper (diced), chopped Cilantro
1. In a cast iron skillet or non stick pan (at least 9 inches), heat olive oil over medium low heat. Cook onion until softened and translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 3-5 minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium high and add chard stems. Cook to soften for about 5 minutes, then add chard leaves one handful at a time, stirring and allowing to wilt, until you have exhausted all chard. Once all is wilted, add Zia Hatch Green Chile, a sprinkle of salt, and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
3. Decrease the heat back to medium low and make 6-8 "holes" in the mixture which you will crack your eggs into. Carefully crack one egg into each hole. Cover with a lid or two sheets of tin foil and cook until eggs are set, about 8-9 minutes.
4. While eggs are setting, on another burner over medium heat, warm tortillas by cooking roughly 30 seconds on each side with a drop of olive oil, or until they start to brown.
4. Remove Shakshuka from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with avocado and jalapeño slices, cilanto and cotija cheese. Serve with tortillas, lime wedges and hot sauce, if desired.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!