Zia Hatch Green Chile Tacos de Papa (Potato Tacos)
Simple ingredients, easy prep, high flavor and satisfaction. This incredibly versatile recipe is likely to be made on multiple occasions throughout Harvest time.
Ingredients (makes around 15 tacos):
- 4 large Russet Potatoes, diced (skin still on)
- 1/2 - 3/4 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile (strained)
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, shredded
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp New Mexico Red Chile Powder, ground (or Paprika if NM Red Chile Powder is not available)
- Chopped Cilantro to taste (we used about a 4-5 large pinches)
- Corn Tortillas
- High Heat Oil for frying
- Sea Salt
- Optional garnishes and additions (your salsa of choice, red onion, cabbage, lettuce, sour cream, etc)
1. Boil a large pot of salted water. Add potatoes and cook until tender and easy to insert and remove a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove, drain, and allow to cool.
2. Once potatoes are cool, transfer to a large bowl along with cheddar cheese, Zia Hatch Green Chile, garlic, cilantro, NM red chile powder, cumin, and at least 1 tsp sea salt. Mash until all ingredients are combined and do not worry if there is still some chunkiness to the mixture at the end.
3. Warm tortillas by placing one by one in a cast iron skillet over medium heat for about 15-20 seconds on each side. The goal is not to let them cool, but to allow them to become pliable and able to fold without breaking. Cover with a kitchen or paper towel as you work through them. Once tortillas are warmed, add a scoop of potato mixture to each tortilla, fold in half, and press down gently.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add high heat oil. Once oil comes to temperature, cook each taco until golden brown on each side (about 1-2 minutes each side, monitor closely to make sure they do not burn), pressing down gently with a spatula. Repeat process until all tacos are cooked.
5. Allow to cool and serve with any optional garnishes or additions. Enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!