Zia Hatch Red Chile and Cranberry Skillet Cornbread
Hatch Green Chile and Cornbread are a classic duo, but our Hatch Red Chile adds a whole new flavor profile to the timeless dish.
This is the perfect melt in your mouth mix of sweet and savory to have at your dinner table this Holiday season!
- 1/2 jar Zia Hatch Red Chile, strained
- 1 cup Cranberries
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 1/4 cup Yellow Cornmeal, medium or fine-grind
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1-2 tsp Kosher Salt (to your taste)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 stick Butter (8oz)
1. If unable to find fresh or frozen cranberries, buy dried cranberries and rehydrate them by boiling water, pouring over cranberries and letting sit covered for 20-30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and place a stick of butter in a cast iron skillet or oven safe baking dish. Strain cranberries and Zia Hatch Red Chile.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Once dry ingredients are combined, whisk in the eggs and buttermilk.
4. When oven is fully heated, place the cast iron skillet with butter into the oven and let sit until the butter is fully melted. Once melted, remove and pour about 75% of melted butter into the batter and mix in.
5. Pour the batter into the skillet and sprinkle cranberries and Zia Hatch Red Chile evenly on top.
6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Enjoy!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!