Zia Hatch Chile New Mexico Style Pumpkin Soup
In the mood for a soup that has all the flavors and comfort of Autumn in New Mexico? We got you.
- 1/2 jar Zia Hatch Green Chile, strained
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced
- 1 Red Apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp New Mexico Red Chile Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cans Canned Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Pepitas
- 1 tbsp Salt, and more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Mexican Crema for garnish (Sour Cream works too)
- Butter, about 2 tbsp
1. Heat a saucepan on medium heat that can hold at least 4 quarts. Add butter, 1/4 cup pepitas and onion and cook about 10 minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
2. Add Zia Hatch Chile, New Mexico red chile powder, apple, black pepper, cinnamon, and pumpkin and stir to combine.
3. Once combined, add 4 cups of water, mix and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes.
4. With about 10 minutes remaining, add butter to a small skillet and toast remaining pepitas on medium heat.
5. After 30 minutes are up, mix in salt and sugar. Remove the soup from heat and puree in a blender (you may need 2 rounds depending on the size of your blender). Return the soup to saucepan and serve with a garnish of Mexican cream and a pinch of toasted pepitas.
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!