Zia Hatch Green Chile Soft Pretzels
The classic warm and buttery texture you love with the smoke-kissed flavor of our Hatch Green Chile.
Don't let the baking process fool you. This recipe is easier to make than you think and is sure to be loved by all ages.
- 1/4oz (about 7 grams) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water (110-155 degrees)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4-4 1/2 cups Bread Flour
- 8 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 tbsp Cold Water
- 3/4-full jar Zia Hatch Green Chile
- Coarse Salt
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir and let rest until bubbles begin forming (about 2-3 minutes). Add sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups of flour and stir until ingredients are fully incorporated. Stir in enough remaining flour until a soft dough is formed.
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. While doing so, mix in strained Zia Hatch Green Chile and continue kneading into dough until fully mixed in. Brush dough all around with a tablespoon of olive oil and let sit covered with a moist towel in a large bowl for about an hour to allow dough to rise.
3. In a medium size pot, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Take out dough and flatten into 2 large circles. Cut each into 6 pieces like a pizza, leaving you with 12 (roughly) even pieces of dough. Each piece will be a pretzel. Before shaping, we recommend watching a Youtube video to brush up on proper shaping technique.
4. Shape pretzels. Once every pretzel is made and water is boiling, submerge each pretzel into the water with a slotted spoon for about 15 seconds each. Place each pretzel onto a greased baking sheet and pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Lightly beat egg yolk and cold water and brush over all sides of pretzels. Once all done, sprinkle coarse sea salt over each pretzel (or whatever else you'd like)!
6. Place into oven for 10-13 minutes until golden brown. Remove and serve warm. Try with our Hatch Green Chile Beer Queso!
Want more delicious Hatch Chile Recipes? View more here!